Scaling & Root Planing
Prevent Gum Disease
Scaling and root planing is included when you go in for a cleaning or deep cleaning. Here are some guidelines for post-treatment care:
- Oral care: Rinse your mouth twice or thrice daily with warm salt water – a teaspoon salt mixed to 8 ounces of water. Start home care (brushing and flossing) immediately – do not skip though in the beginning you may have to be gentle. Drink plenty of water as always.
- Discomfort: Pain in the gums may occur, over-the-counter pain medications will help minimize discomfort. You may feel some sensitivity to cold but this is only temporary. Take 600 mg Ibuprofen every 6 hrs for the first few days.
- Eating: Meals take right after a cleaning should be soft. Don’t eat hard foods and chips, popcorn, etc. for the next four days.
- Swelling: Swelling or stiffness of the jaw is rare but if it does, you can place warm moist towels to the face in the area of stiffness.
- Smoking: Do not smoke cigarettes after a scaling and root planning treatment. Tobacco smoke is can deter healing. Avoid smoking for 24 hours or quit the habit altogether.
The success of your gum treatments depends on the improvement of your oral hygiene and commitment to routine professional care.
If any problems arise feel free to call our Saratoga dental office right away.