Congratulations! We have done our best to provide you with well-fitted, functional, and aesthetically pleasing partial denture(s). We feel confident that after a few weeks of adjustments to them you will enjoy years of satisfaction and use from them provided you observe the following cautions and general guidelines.
- Your First Few Weeks: New dentures always feel strange when first placed into your mouth. Several days or even a few weeks will be required for you to feel accustomed to them.
- Sore Spots: Your mouth usually will have a few sore spots about 24 hours after you first put your partial dentures in. An initial readjustment appointment should be made to see the doctor within couple of days of receiving the dentures and another about seven days later. This will usually eliminate any other sore areas. It may be necessary from time to time to have adjustments as your tissues naturally change.
- Chewing: The new bite or occlusion will not be comfortable for a period of days. We will adjust the contacting surfaces of your teeth after 24 hours, and again in about one week after the dentures have settled into place.
- Cleaning the Dentures and Your Mouth: Your partial dentures can be cleaned easily by using a denture brush and toothpaste. Use special care to clean parts of the partial that contact any natural teeth. Both the partial denture and the natural teeth must be kept very clean on a daily basis to reduce the chance of new dental decay starting. Use toothpaste that contains fluoride. Denture soaks are also useful for the denture. Brush your gums with a regular toothbrush once a day to clean and toughen them. You should remove the dentures at night and leave them soaking in a diluted mouthwash solution.
- The Future: Your jaw bones and gums shrink up to 1/32 of an inch per year when your teeth are missing. This is one of the main disadvantages of dentures. Because of this shrinkage, you should plan to have your dentures and oral tissues evaluated by us at least every six (6) months. We will inform you when relining or rebasing of the dentures is necessary. Wearing ill-fitting dentures for too long without refitting can cause severe bone loss and very serious oral disease. Even dentures that fit comfortably need to be checked along with your tissue. Oral Cancer Screening should be performed yearly.
We have done our best to provide you with the finest quality materials available today. We look forward to helping you adjust to and enjoy your new dentures. However, only your continuing care and concern can assure long-term good dental health. Please call our Saratoga dental office if you have concerns.